Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Oregon Trail

At the beginning of the month Noah's class started out on the Oregon Trail for two whole weeks!!!  He learned all kinds of interesting stuff, made his very own wagon complete with little people, a pottery bowl and a wind up toy (I don't know what the actual name is).   One whole wall in their classroom was a giant map of the Oregon Trail and they moved along the trail every day!
During this time we were driving over to visit my grandparents and for some reason I took Hwy 205 (I never take 205) and saw the sign for the end of the Oregon trail.  Jackpot!  I totally remember seeing the big white wagons from when I was little but had never been there.  We made a quick detour to check out the little museum.  Noah was so excited to see and hold some of the "real things" from the pioneers!  They had a little wagon in the corner that the kids could load with supplies and tables of all the wooden toys and games that the kids played along the trail!  I was just excited that the boys were on their best behavior!
Noah's wagon, bowl and pioneers!
All I had to do was tell Noah that we were going to
take a picture to show Teacher Lindsey and all the
sudden he was all about posing :)
Running up to the museum!  Apparently the giant
white tarps that were originally on the covered
wagons blew off years ago and there is no budget
to replace them.  I had always envisioned little
wagons from when I used to drive by when I was little
but these things are HUGE!  I can see why it
might break the bank to try and recover them...
Each step had the name of a stop along the trail and Noah
was excited to see Chimney Rock since he had just colored
his Chimney Rock picture the day before!
Checking out all the toys and games inside!  This is just like
the paper wind up toy that he made in class!
We completed our visit with some candy sticks, just
like the pioneers used to have...
(they totally had tutti frutti right :)
"Cheese" 
Noah's own wind up toy he made at school!

No comments: