Monday, August 20, 2012

Day Trip

At the beginning of the summer my grandma had told me how much fun she and her sisters had visiting Bonneville and the fish farms up on the Columbia Gorge so of course I added it to our summer to do list immediately :)  We packed a giant picnic lunch, lots of snacks and headed up the gorge to see what we could find!  The dam was pretty amazing, I did not realize how huge it was and we got to go down under the fish ladders to watch the fish swim by.  Apparently we missed the busiest fish time by a couple weeks but we still got to see a few go by which was pretty cool.  After checking out everything at Bonneville we went down the street to an awesome park that they had just built with a giant play structure and picnic area which we had entirely to ourselves!  After lunch and some playground time we headed over to the Bonneville Hatchery across the way.   We saw lots of GIANT sturgeon and tiny baby trout and the boys loved feeding the fish (I think they would have stood there throwing food all day if I would have kept giving them quarters).  Our final stop was Multnomah Falls for a little hike and dessert :)  I had not been in several years and I think that out of all the cool stuff we did they were most excited to see a real waterfall.  The only bummer is that it was PACKED, I mean like hard to walk around packed.  I can't imagine what that place must be like on a weekend...  Anyway, we hiked half way up the falls and the boys had two of the biggest popsicles that I have ever seen in my life and then they immediately passed out in the car on the way home :)
Super fun day!!!
Steering the "ship"
Watching the fish swim by on the ladder
at Bonneville!
The fish ladder, I found this very fascinating!
This is as close as you can get to the dam, it is so huge!!!
Feeding the fish!
Cheese!!!!!!!!
They loved the fish arrows around the hatchery!
"I think this fish is bigger than me!"
Playing in the creek at Multnomah Falls
I think they would have hiked all the way to the
top if I would have let them keep going.  
Cheese!
Checking the map at the hatchery!
Seriously huge Popsicles...

No comments: